IR DIRECTOR Mike TOMZ ADDRESSES THE GRADUATES and DR. CONDOLEEZZA RICE AWARDS DIPLOMAS
Preparing to Graduate with an International Relations (IR) Major/ Minor
As you enter your final year at Stanford, below are the steps required to graduate:
- The Autumn quarter of your Senior year, all IR majors and minors should submit via email an updated course plan for either their major IR Major Course Plan_2016-2017 (PDF) or minor IR Minor Course Plan_2016-2017 (PDF). These forms can be emailed to Christelle Sheldon. After your form has been received and reviewed, the IR Office will contact you to arrange your degree audit appointment in the Autumn quarter to finalize your completion plan.
- All IR majors and minors must declare to graduate in Axess by the Registrar's posted "Application Deadline" within the quarter you plan to graduate. Please refer to the 2016-2017 Academic Calendar for applicable deadlines.
- For those students with a double major and/or a minor, Stanford requires that within your final quarter you complete and submit the Major-Minor and Multiple Major Course Approval Form. This form must be signed by a representative from each program/ department. To arrange an appointment with the IR Office to have your form reviewed and signed, email Christelle Sheldon. Please refer to the 2016-2017 Academic Calendar for applicable deadlines.
- All IR senior majors will be required to complete the IR Senior Survey. This survey is separate from the University's Senior Survey that you will also be asked to complete in Axess. A directed link to the IR Senior Survey will be emailed to you in late March/ early April the Spring quarter of your senior year.
Information from this survey will be used to:
(a) record your official RSVP to attend the IR Diploma Ceremony,
(b) record your number of guests and any accommodations needed for those guests with disabilities attending the IR Diploma Ceremony,
(c) record how you would like your name printed in the IR Diploma Ceremony program and read aloud as you cross the stage (Please Note: This is not where you will record how you would like your name printed on your actual diploma. That is a separate process managed by the University).
(d) compose your short bio, which will be read as you cross the stage at the IR Diploma Ceremony, and
(e) allow you to self-report any honors programs you will have completed and/or awards received
- If you will not be conferring your degree by the Spring of your senior year, but would like to participate in the IR Diploma Ceremony by "Walking", you will need to complete the Commencement Walkthrough Petition and submit this to the IR Office by April of your senior year. Official date TBA via email to all seniors.
Stanford University Main Commencement Ceremony
Stanford's main Commencement proceedings for all graduates will be held on Sunday, June 18, 2017 in the Stanford Stadium from 9:30am-11:30am. For information on the University's commencement ceremony, click here. To review your required steps for the University's Undergraduate Graduation Checklist, click here. For graduates or their guests with disabilities, please review the available accommodations found here.
International Relation's Diploma Ceremony
The International Relation's Diploma Ceremony will follow the main University Commencement ceremony on Sunday, June 18, 2017 and will be held in Dohrmann Grove, located in between Hoover Tower and the Lane History Building along Serra Avenue. For a map link, click here. A reception with refreshments will take place from 11:30am-12:15pm. Students will be asked to take their alphabetically assigned seats promptly at 12:15pm. The ceremony will begin at 12:30pm and will conclude around 2:30pm. Our ceremony is located outdoors, and the ground is covered in wood chips. Please plan accordingly when selecting your footwear and sunscreen is recommended. Students are required to formally RSVP to reserve their seat via the IR Senior Survey (a survey link will be emailed to seniors late March/ early April). Family members and guests are welcome and will not need tickets. Guest seating is based on first come, first serve. Should you or a guest require special accommodations due to a disability, please inform the IR Office via the IR Senior Survey and please alert the University here.